This is a pain in the buttocks!
Bowel habits vary for each person but when you have trouble passing stool, or have infrequent stools (less than 3 per week), or pain with bowel movements, you are likely constipated. People tend to feel bloated, sluggish and lack optimal energy when they are constipated. Children who get constipated tend to have worse behavior during these times. Think about the toxic waste that your body is trying to get rid of – the longer this waste stays in the GI tract the more likely you are to be affected by them.
There are a variety of correctable factors that can create constipation.
- Diets full of processed food
- Lack of dietary fiber – too few veggies
- Too many carbohydrates and sweets
- Lack of healthy intestinal flora
- Poor digestion/deficient digestive enzymes
- Not enough water intake
- Sedentary lifestyle – not enough exercise
- Medications for inflammation, pain, blood pressure, sleep, depression
By utilizing functional medicine, there are lots of options to help with constipation naturally. Identifying what is creating the constipation helps us to help you.