The Importance of Using Supplements For Our Health
Why Do Most of Us Need Nutritional Supplements?
Most of us believe we can get all the nutrients we need from our food. This would only be possible if everyone had access to organic, whole, fresh foods. Unfortunately this is not the case and we are unable to obtain all the nutrients our bodies require to function in top form from these foods. Some of the reasons for the nutritional deficits include:
- Diets containing processed foods, trans fats, and sugar, which depletes nutrients.
- Over farming and loss of topsoil that has depleted soil health, and resulted in nutrient-poor foods.
- Shipping and storage of fresh foods for long periods.
- Genetic alteration of foods reducing nutrient value.
- Prescription medications can deplete specific nutrients– For example, statin drugs deplete the nutrient Co-Q-10.
- Poor eating habits – skipping meals, eating on the run.
- Poor digestion, not chewing food well and intestinal flora imbalance make it difficult for our bodies to absorb nutrients efficiently.
- Different life stages have different requirements.
- Family tendencies – including inherited genetic weaknesses, such as a family history of cardiovascular disease, diabetes, gastro intestinal issues, etc.
- High stress lifestyle – overwork, poor sleep, family demands, and lack of relaxation and balance.
- Oxidative Stress resulting from environmental toxins, small intestine bacterial overgrowth, poor nutrition,
Evidence shows that nutritional supplements are absolutely necessary. Nutrients are essential for the proper functioning of our biochemistry and metabolism. Widespread deficiencies in our population include omega-3 fats, vitamin D, folate, zinc, magnesium and iron.
Doctors now routinely prescribe omega fish oil supplements, such as folate, coenzyme Q10, and probiotics, even in traditional medical clinics and hospitals.
There are estimates of anywhere between 75% and 85% of Americans having a vitamin D deficiency which can only be treated safely with supplements. Our modern lifestyle demands extended periods of time inside, so most of us do not get enough sunlight to fulfill our vitamin D needs. Sunscreen blocks the sunlight we need to produce vitamin D naturally, but by not using it we risk the chance of sunburn or even cancer. Supplements are the best way for us to get the vitamin D that we require.
The supplements selected for my practice are high quality and sourced from reputable companies. Each supplement I recommend my patients has been formulated based on scientific research using the best raw materials. Over the years, my list of trusted products has changed and evolved. Some products get added in, others are dropped off based on changes in quality and efficacy. The supplements I have prescribed to thousands of patients have proven to be effective and well tolerated. When choosing supplements, I make sure that they are free of allergens, as well as additives, and have been independently verified to contain what is on the label.
It is most beneficial to take only the supplements that your body needs, over doing it stresses your body, which in turn makes you feel poorly. Additionally, children should always take supplement formulas designed specifically for their needs.
Come in for a consultation to identify the nutrients that are best for you.