What Are Your Symptoms Telling You?
Functional Medicine identifies the Root Cause of disease, and recognizes that symptoms manifest and provide clues to the underlying cause. The symptoms experienced provide key information to help identify and treat the root cause.
Symptoms that correlate with digestion and the gut microbiome are among the most common. They provide us with the opportunity to identify and treat underlying causes of many disease processes.
There are three food groups that are needed to survive. Each food group serves different and important functions. Carbohydrates provide the fuel (energy) for muscles and the nervous system. Proteins are mainly for structure and only used for energy when carbohydrates are not available (as in a starving state). Fats are important to digest and process properly because they serve so many functions. Fats provide four-to-five times more Energy than carbohydrates, they provide Fat Soluble Vitamins (D, E, K and A), Hormones (communication system of the body), the Structure of the nervous system and brain (90% of the brain IS made of fat) and impacts Immune Regulation. Improper digestion or processing of any of these food groups leads to characteristic symptoms.
Symptoms and Possible Indications
- Carbohydrate craving – poor digestion of carbs and abnormal microbiome.
- Sugar craving – poor carbohydrate and fat digestion.
- Bad breath – indicates either dental problems or poor digestion.
- Constipation – frequently occurs when people don’t digest fats well or abnormal gut flora.
- Undigested food in stool – poor digestion in general.
- Foul smelling stools – poor digestion and abnormal gut microbiome.
- Fatigue – frequently comes from poor digestion of carbs and fats, abnormal flora or food sensitivities.
- Poor endurance – poor digestion and processing of fats.
- Fluid retention or bloating – poor digestion or inflammatory foods.
- Gassy – poor digestion and abnormal flora.
- Hangover feeling when no alcohol has been consumed – poor carb digestion especially if sugar also consumed, or food sensitivities.
- Heartburn – poor protein digestion or flora imbalance.
- Frequent infections – poor carbohydrate digestion, fat processing or abnormal flora.
What can you do to help?
Supporting digestion and flora with digestive enzymes, probiotics, fiber, omegas and herbals can favorably impact many symptoms. Choosing the right support for your particular needs can be challenging. We can help get you back on the path to optimal health.
Wishing You the Best of Health!
Dr. Amy Davis M.D.