Functional Medicine is proactive, predictive and personalized medicine which empowers patients to take an active role in their own health. By shifting the traditional disease-centered focus of medical practice to a more patient-centered approach, Functional Medicine addresses the whole person, not just an isolated set of symptoms. The Functional Medicine physician spends time with their patients, listening to their histories and looking at the interaction among genetic, environmental, and lifestyle factors that can influence long-term health and complex, chronic disease. In this way Functional Medicine supports the unique expression of health and vitality for each individual.
FUNCTIONAL MEDICINE & CONVENTIONAL MEDICINE: A SIDE BY SIDE REVIEW
- Health oriented
- Patient centered
- Biochemical individuality
- Cost effective
- Looks at underlying cause of disease
- Preventative approach
- High touch / High tech
- Disease Oriented
- Doctor Centered
- Everyone is treated Similarly
- Disagnosis based on symptoms
- Early disease detection
- High tech
Functional Medicine is not “alternative medicine”. There is an impressive body of scientific evidence supporting the Functional Medicine approach which is practiced and taught at the prestigious Cleveland Clinic.
- The scientific community has made incredible strides in helping practitioners understand how environmental and lifestyle influences, can impair basic biological functions. That knowledge is how we identify the underlying cause of each patients’ problems. That is powerful science!
- Scientific support for the Functional Medicine approach to treatment can be found in a large and rapidly expanding body of evidence based research concerning the therapeutic effects of nutrition (including both dietary choices and the clinical use of vitamins, minerals and other nutrients such as fish oils); botanicals; exercise (aerobics, strength training, flexibility); stress management; detoxification; acupuncture; manual medication (massage, manipulation); and mind/body techniques such as meditation, guided imagery, and biofeedback.
- Medical science has recently provided strong evidence that the relationship between patient and clinician has a powerful effect on patient health outcomes. The Functional Medicine focus on the therapeutic partnership is clearly an important part of how patients heal.
- Making effective healthcare choices involves the Functional Medicine clinician and patient in a relationship where information and belief, attention and insight, communication and trust all have value. Functional Medicine uses personalized, systems-oriented therapeutic plans for each unique patient using evidence and insight, art and science.
We are accepting new patients and do not require a membership.
Certified Functional Medicine Doctor
Crossing Back to Health
11477 Olde Cabin Rd. Suite 100
Creve Coeur, MO 63141